Friday 26 September 2014

Trench Mouth















During World War 1 (1914-1918) some of the soldiers at that time who were living in trenches could not take proper care of their oral hygiene partly because of the unavailability of oral products. These soldiers ended up with very painful bleeding gums with accompanying mouth odour.
This was how the disease got its name.

The journey to the trenches
The mouth is composed of hundreds of microorganisms already and an uncontrollable increase in their number, as a result of poor oral hygiene, could trigger off dental conditions for which trench mouth is among.

Trench mouth, also known as Vincent’s disease is an acute dental condition characterized by a sudden inflammation and bleeding of the gums.

Unlike periodontal disease, trench mouth can occur at any age so long as an individual is malnourished, has a poor oral hygiene or patients with compromised immunity.  

      Symptoms 
  • Bad breath.
  • Fever and fatigue.
  • Red, swollen, bleeding gums.
  • Painful gums.
  • Swollen glands on the neck
Prevention
You can read up my post on periodontal disease to learn how you can prevent this disease.
Managing your stress effectively is also important in preventing this disease and please Learn how you can manage your stress level here

14 comments:

  1. The link to that blog post on stress isn't correct. This is the real link
    http://www.justhealthng.info/2014/09/how-to-manage-stress-effectively.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much for calling my attention to that, Blessing. It was a quick morning post. I will correct it forthwith.
      Thanks for your time, it means a lot.

      Delete
  2. Can I be honest with you? I always learn new things when I visit your blog, and I must say that you are my favourite health blogger.

    I am so sorry that I missed your birthday, darling. Biko ndo, been off for a while. Hope you had a lovely birthday?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh sweet baby Jesus! YT, from the deepest part of my heart, I say thank you for your kind words. To have me as your favourite health blogger is a privilege and I will do my best here.
      My birthday was awesome and for missing it, it's okay. We will celebrate more, in Jesus name.
      Am glad you are back...
      I can go on and on cuz I am excited right now, like i just won myself an award but lemme stop here...
      I wish you a productive week...

      Delete
  3. Very informative, thanks for sharing this knowledge.
    www.effortlesslady.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are welcome, Diana.
      Thanks for your time.

      Delete
  4. i am really late but nevertheless HAPPY BIRTHDAY MAY GOD GRANT ALL YOUR HEART DESIRES, I WILL USE THIS TO EAT A CUPCAKE FOR YOU TONIGHT HEHEHE and this trench mouth reminds me of a coworker in the past that smelt so bad he was alienated as in it smelled like a dead body.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Amen!
      Hehehe...you are permitted.
      It is bad but the joy is that with a good oral hygiene this disease will be kept at bay.
      Thanks for your time, Mz Cookie.

      Delete
  5. Thanks helpful info and happy belated birthday Chris I hope you had a wonderful day on your birthday.
    nandiphame.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did, Nandi. Thanks so much for your time.

      Delete
  6. Every time i visit your blog, i always learn something new. Thanks for always sharing.
    http://sophialastyles.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are welcome, Sophia.
      It feels good to have you here.

      Delete
  7. Aww didn't knw bout ur birthday oo so sorry. Happy belated birthday all d same LLNP

    Thanks for this post.

    ReplyDelete

Your visit is highly appreciated...but please have your say.