Saturday 23 August 2014

When Shower Turns Sour


  
When you turn on the shower, it is not only the tiny droplets of water that spurts out, some infectious agents also do and by the time you inhale or swallow them, they would enter your body and cause damage(s).

In the past, I would have my shower each day totally unaware of these monsters, but like Yours Truly said in my last post, I guess it was because my immune system was a super bacteria proof.

Let’s talk the talk now, shall we?

You probably have heard so much about Tuberculosis and how it is caused by a certain type of bacterium called Mycobacterium tuberculosis, right? There’s another group of Nontuberculous mycobacteria called Mycobacterium avium complex (MAC). It consists of two closely related species-M. avium and M. intracellulare which causes tuberculosis-like symptoms in humans.
      
      Some of the symptoms are as follows; 
  • Chronic cough that later produces small amount of sputum, sometimes streaked with blood in old people 
  • Shortness of breath 
  • Elevated temperature 
  • Marked Weight loss 
  • Abdominal pain
  • Diarrhoea 
  • Drenching sweats 
  • Weakness and Fatigue which may last for weeks 
  • Tiredness
The naked truth is that showerheads are viable grounds for the growth of MAC.

Another type of bacterium called Legionella pneumophilia which causes Legion fever in humans could also be found in showerheads.By breathing or swallowing contaminated aerosolised water from the shower heads, Legionella pneumophilia enter our body and cause pneumonia and fatal respiratory failure.

Immunocompetent persons have little or nothing to worry about these bacteria but the same can’t be said of patients with weak immune systems. Patients with life threatening diseases like cancer and heart or kidney diseases, aged persons with lung infections, HIV patients and patients with skin infection are at high risk of infection.

Prevention/control
  • Avoid contaminated water aerosols. 
  • Regularly clean and disinfect showerheads. White distilled vinegar has been found to be very effective. 
  • Use metal heads for your shower instead of the plastic ones.
  • Run the shower water for some minutes before jumping in, hot water preferably.

23 comments:

  1. Thanks for the informationg... I am on my way to buy vinegar lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are welcome, sweetness and yeah, please do.
      I hope you are having a great week?

      Delete
  2. Thank you for sharing and I will take care of my shower.

    nandiphame.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are welcome, dearie. And yeah, please do.

      Delete
  3. Wow...this is very informative....buh seriously vinegar??...**faints**

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lolz...Yeah, Vinegar and PLEASE don't do that to me o!
      It feels good having you around.

      Delete
  4. didn't know all this , thanks for sharing . Really going to share this.

    www.stylenbeautylounge.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. I see how your blog growing bigger and bigger everyday. Congrats Chris. We'll get there

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My blog Aunty...thanks for coming around.
      Please guys visit www.Naijasinglegirl.net and tell me why she's not the best witty blogger. Laughter is the best medicine, get some from Dr NSG.

      Delete
  6. I know we have to clean our showerheads, but didn't actually know it can be this serious. Wow! Thanks for sharing Chris. :)

    missymayification.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are welcome. Wish you a successful week.

      Delete
  7. All these shower heads habour a lot of germs - these days taking a shower scares me, and that's why I now use my good old bucket! it has never let me down!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Having ones bath is the safest thing to do especially when one is not sure of the hygienic condition of a showerhead.
      When one lodge in a hotel and the water heater is not functioning, to be on the safe side, one should go for the bucket bath and not shower...

      Delete
  8. Chai! Chris where have thy been? Never knew you changed your blog url all this while. I had to search for you via google+.

    I love this post very informative!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh sweet baby Jesus!
      Temi, my apologies for all the pain the change caused you. It was for the better.
      Thanks so very much.

      Delete
  9. Thanks for the tips, i am going to try this.
    http://sophialastyles.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  10. Chris, please do not do this to me. I keep refreshing your page but no new posts!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great info, thanks for sharing.
    www.effortlesslady.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. I hardly use them. Informative
    www.tosyne101.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
  13. I hardly use them. Informative
    www.tosyne101.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
  14. I hardly use them. Informative
    www.tosyne101.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete

Your visit is highly appreciated...but please have your say.